Dr. Michael S. Brophy
Dr. Brophy has served as the President of Marymount College Palos Verdes in Los Angeles since 2006 and has held leadership appointments at the University of Wisconsin Colleges, Long Island University (New York), the State University of New York and The Sage Colleges (New York). Career highlights include:
- Led the transformation of a single campus private two-year college (Marymount) into a multisite undergraduate and graduate institution with suburban, urban and rural campuses.
- Increased enrollment by 100% at Marymount.
- Increased annual fundraising results by 1000% at Marymount.
- Through collaborative programs, provided access for urban students to higher education in New York City and Los Angeles.
- Awarded Fulbright scholarship to teach and study in Bulgaria.
- Led strategic planning programs as consultant and President/CEO.
- Led enrollment programs that served students of all ages at The Sage Colleges, Long Island University and the University of Wisconsin.
- Established comprehensive service learning and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletic programs at Marymount.
- Secured external funds for academic, athletic, facilities, operational and urban outreach programs.
- Led community relations programs that produced support for campus development and advancement in Los Angeles, Northern California and Wisconsin.
- Taught, conducted research, lectured and led student travel in the United Kingdom, Eastern Europe and Cuba.
- Led $15M strategic investment in current facility improvement and new facility development, entitlement and construction at Marymount College.
- Earned all three graduate degrees as a part-time adult learner. These include a Master’s in English from The College of Saint Rose (New York), a Master’s in Fine Arts in Writing from Long Island University (New York) and a PhD in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Undergraduate degree in music earned at The College of Saint Rose.
- Wrote, directed and edited three films that have screened around the world at film festivals and universities.
- Recipient of The Vision Award from the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce, the Citizen of the Year Award from Palos Verdes Sunset Rotary and the Educator of the Year Award from the Harbor City and Harbor Gateway Chamber of Commerce.
- Recognized by the New York City Board of Education for having co-developed the city’s model school/university partnership.
- As a musician, accompanied gospel choirs at the State University of New York and performing with students and faculty at recitals at Marymount College, UW-Baraboo/Sauk County and The College of Saint Rose.
Dr. Brophy and his wife Tara reside in Rancho Palos Verdes, California with their three children.
Michael S. Brophy, Ph.D., M.F.A., President